View Single Post
Old 22-08-2015, 01:31   #17
Dave Walsh

Re: Model Lodging House At Church

I know what you mean Bob-there is a lack of direct evidence from the building itself or anyone with any memories/stories. On the other hand it was hard to get any info re my place in Rammy for a long time. Maybe "decent folk" don't want to recall any association with hard times.

The Hyndburn Council report [Adopted in June 2008] "Church Canal Side Conservation Area Application and Management Plan" does indeed focus on Church but it's tone doesn't convince and the understanding/committment is questionable... plus it manages to coincides with the total financial collapse in that year, just when they were finally trying to do something-apparently.

To my mind, although somewhat patronising and written in archi/conservation speak it does seem historically valid and detailed. In Appendix 3, photograph 19 definetely shows the building at 55-57 Blackburn Road I'm talking about [currently with Right Move at £249k] and on the other side of Simpsons Bridge from Hargreaves Mill. It is described as the Model Lodging House-late nineteenth century. It's identified as a key building in the report! The Right Move description points out that the space on three floors is often subdivided into small areas [rooms] with walls that are not load bearing so they could be removed. This is how it would have been built as a lodging house in that period I suspect with partitions probaly built directly onto the floor boards, I've seen this before! Circumstantial but convincing evidence. Perhaps I can get in for a look?
Dave W
Dave Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote