Thread: Jazz Club
View Single Post
Old 24-08-2015, 11:58   #110
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: Jazz Club

Hello Cashy! ON STANLEY ON!
I started Secondary 'Schoow' at Rhyddings in 1963 and left in 1968, being born in Feb 1952! My big brother was there three years before me when it was still the Boys Tech school......Philip Mitchell. He has lived in South Carolina for donkeys years but he is coming over to visit in early September. He will be at the Exeter Home Match on the 19th Sep all being well. Did you know him Cashy? My missus was in the same class as me at Rhyddings and earlier at Peel Park! We got wed in 1976. Got two daughters and two grandsons. Youngest daughter is a long standing Stanley supporter since she was 6 years old, Now she's 31 ! We still go on the Clayton End blowing our plastic horns!!

I started going up The Jazz Club when I was 16 and still at the 'Owd Tech'. Six pints and sloshed was the usual every night up there! I remember 'Sounds 18' as a regular group at Jazz nights and recall seeing a great trumpet player called Nat Ginella aged 77 who was amazing! He had the biggest 'cheeks' I have ever seen....cheeks on his face not BUMCHEEKS! I also used to go to the Folk Nights on wednesdays (or fridays?) and saw some great acts there too. Ralph Smith used to live on Ambleside Close near me on the council estate in Huncoat in those days and yes he ran the Folk and Heavy Rock nights at Bold Street too. I remember some of the girls that I fancied used to drink Cherry 'B' and Cider! I remember too that all the girls seemed to be 'beautiful' with their long hair and mini skirts! Blew me away though when HOT PANTS came out in about 68/69! I used to be a regular in the Peel Park pub then and we used to climb over the fences, (in our Burton's suits) surrounding the old Stanley ground to go back and forth from the pub to the club! Luckily we were in the pub on the night that the club was raided and subsequently closed! I remember the talk at the time was that there were about 120 people in the club when it was raided and that 108 were 'under age' and that several got done for possessing 'drugs'!
When I was 18 we started going to Bold Street for the Folk nights and the Heavy Rock nights there and a couple of us even got onto the 'Committee' as they wanted some younger representatives! This also meant some very late nights 'locked in' after clearing the tables! The Steward called Jack used to wash out the pumps on Sunday nights and put pint after pint onto to the bar until soapy water came through. Me and a few others used to sup 'em for free until we couldn't cope with the suds! I used to get home as late as 4 am and still get to work for 7.30 !!! Good job I was on a 'Drawing board' and not down on the shop floor operating machinery!
We saw som great acts down there;
Folk; Mike Harding (many times) Bob Williamson and The 'Y' Fronts regularly, Jasper Carrot, The Oldham Tinkers, the Taverners (with lead singer 'Tiny'). I particularly remember seeing, about three or four times, a superb group called 'Magna Carta' who made a stunning album titled "Seasons" which blew me away. There was also a group called Mr Fox with a well fit blonde girl singer who played an electric fiddle!
Heavy rock groups;
The best acts were 'Strife' from Liverpool and a band called "Gravy Train" and their best song was 'A ballad of a peaceful man'. One sunday night/'monday morning' I was walking home to Huncoat singing the 'Ballad of a peaceful man' out loud, meandering drunkenly up Burnley Road with my hands buried in my pockets and my head banging from side to side when I decided to cross the road! Well I finished up going head over heels' still with my hands in my pockets' and knocked myself out and dislocated my collar bone!..... I also remember well, 'Sassafras' and 'Wild Turkey' as superb groups. The Lakeland lounge was packed on Sunday nights and I recall having to go for pee's downstairs and as you walked by the snooker table looking up at the ceiling and it used to bounce up and down a good six inches. I was amazed that it never collapsed. I remember my favourite drink there was a Pint glass filled with two half bottles, one of 'Newcy Brown' topped up with a bottle of 'Double Century' brewed by Duttons in Burnley I think! Strong stuff!
Last week the Missus and I went to see The Pendle Folk group doing a fund raiser in Burnley. Roger Westbrook was their main front man who we saw many times in the old days! It was a good night of memories but sadly they were all well past it as far as the singing went! Roger has had their original LP recorded onto CD so we have ordered one for a fiver!
Come and find me on the Clayton End Cashy and we will have good chat! Just follow the noise to the Horn Blowers!
Happy days eh.....
Bob Mitchell, alias 'Choirboy'
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote