View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 00:09   #31
Hill Walker

Re: Home made carts!

Today I had a big surprise. I was expecting a delivery and therefore keeping an eye on the road outside when to my surprise I observed three children were playing in the road. This is not something I normally see, it's so rare I was momentarily tempted to check that the phone (internet) and television were working. However what really caught my attention was the fact that they were playing with what could be loosely described as a 'home made cart'.

Ok it wasn't quite what we used to make in the 50's and 60's with a box, a long plank for the chassis and a short plank for the front axle. It was more like a big home made sit on skate board, small wire spoked pram wheels (with suspension springs) and a long broad plank to sit on. Steering was not done with the feet but by leaning, there appeared to be some sort of rubber straps connecting the front and rear axles. Clearly this steering system needed more development as the results appeared to be subject to random chance as much as intention.

The most surprising thing was that this was home-made, I genuinely cannot remember the last time I saw a child playing with anything home-made.

(OFF TOPIC) does anyone know why delivery men insist on knocking on double glazed doors (which cannot be heard) instead or ringing bells (which can be heard)?
Hill Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web