View Single Post
Old 08-09-2015, 06:44   #17
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Are manners a thing of the past?

There is a vast difference between violence and chastisement.
I grew up in a household where we were warned about our behaviour and told what the consequences of the continuation of that behaviour would be.

Yes we did get a slap from time to time. Did I feel violated, or abused if I got a slap?
No, because I had been told the consequences......all actions have consequences.....and i had brought those consequences on myself.
Children have to know that there are things that are unacceptable, things that they cannot do, there have to be barriers that they cannot cross. Rules.
This does not appear to be how children are raised these days. They do not appear to think that there are any rules that they need to obey.
Parents are not the friend to their child.....you cannot be a friend and maintain rules and discipline.
I know that this is a very un PP attitude, I make no apologies for it....it is my way, it is how I was brought up......I think that if more parents took the time to teach the consequence of life to,their children, then maybe, just maybe we would have a better society.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote