View Single Post
Old 25-09-2015, 13:32   #169
Wynonie Harris
Super Moderator

Re: Labour Leadership Contest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
In '83 the tories rode to victory on the back of success in the Falkland War. And it still seemed in the 80s that voodoo economics would bring about the general prosperity that had been promised as early as Lloyd George ... "fit country for heroes to live in." When prosperity did arrive, with Teflon Tony at the helm, no one seemed to realize how fragile it was, with, what, thirty per cent of your economy centred in The City. Perhaps there is an argument to be made that Labour can't win by going back to their old ideas. Well the tories won your last election and they haven't had a new idea since 1819 (I picked the year of Peterloo for no particular reason.)

Thing is, I've been reading the news about Corbyn, he might be a decent bloke; his politics may be decent too. But he's starting to come across plainly as so [deleted]ing politically correct ... apologizing for this and that; showing solidarity with Hamas (nice bunch of lads who occasionally get a little too careless with their AKs and rocket launchers). Maybe it's all an image thing; maybe he truly believes in all that warm fuzzy horse manure. I'm not suggesting that, in order to be a strong leader, one has to go out and kick ass (why does George Bush come to mind.) But neither can you go around kissing ass. If you do, eventually, someone is going to [deleted] in your face.
Yep, a good war always helps and Cameron's already made a start on that one by sending drones to blast a couple of British passport holding ISIS members to kingdom come. Corbyn predictably doesn't approve. No doubt more will follow with perhaps a full-scale bombing campaign, with Corbyn tut-tutting from the sidelines. That'll play well to his leftwing supporters, but not so well with the general electorate. As for "voodoo economics", the Tories are still practicing it and as you say, they won the last election, so it'll take more than Corbyn to shift 'em.

As for Corbyn's political correctness, right on the money. That's what I've been saying from the start of this thread. Corbyn regularly comes out with the sort of ideas that would have him castigated as a "bleeding heart liberal do-gooder" if he aired them on Accyweb. but apparently he's the greatest thing since sliced bread. Go figure.