Thread: Crematorium
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2015, 17:31   #26
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Crematorium

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB View Post
Some have used this topic to get at the Muslims , but as has been pointed out on the thread Muslims are forbidden to have cremations , so they won't be at the crematorium .

The last two funerals I attended at the crematorium were of two friends who were Jehovah's Witnesses , and it did cross my mind at the time , knowing that they do not accept the sign of the cross , that it was a bit odd to have their funeral services conducted before a sign they had spent many hours preaching against .

Being a Christian I don't feel strongly about this issue of the cross . I have a crucifix in my home . It symbolises a lot to me .....everything really . I attend church on Sundays , and the cross is central to what occurs in the church .

But I can't see anything wrong with having a moveable cross at the crematorium , so that Christians can have the cross on display and secularists , humanists , atheists can have the cross not on display .

And as for this being a Christian country......well it isn't and never has been . A country cannot be Christian . Only a person can be Christian . A country might have 99% of its population committed Christians , but that doesn't make the country Christian . It can't do.....just as my dog , not being a person , can never be Christian .

Now if all of this makes me a PC nutter , well I have no problems with that . I am already a nutter for many , perhaps for most on this forum just for being a Christian ......believing all those "fairy tales" , "superstitions" , "brainwashed by all those paedophile men in dresses", etc , etc .
I take your point and I don't think you are a nutter.
Whatever gets you through the night...is fine by me.
Faith is an admirable attribute.

When I said it was a Christian country what I really meant was a country that has a strong Christian past, christian values......and that the majority of the population follow the tenets of Christianity even if they deny the faith for themselves.
Many people are embarrassed to admit that they have a faith on which they can lean...some will only find a faith when they find difficulty.

I consider myself chastened and will make my post clearer next time......by saying what I mean.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote