View Single Post
Old 31-10-2015, 19:22   #30
Exile on Spencer St
God Member

Re: Leyton Orient Thread.

Not sure how much F19 could see from the directors' box without the aid of binoculars (without mentioning the effect of the excellent ale he had afore kick off) but the rest of us riff-raf witnessed yet another outstanding performance from Stanley.
Deserved the points for taking the chance when it arrived. I think the O's fans were double shocked that Mr.Windass got behind their defence and wasn't flagged offside, and then had the nous to slot it in past Cisak. Stanley's goal did have a force field around it though very early on when there was a goal-line melee that made the Alamo look like a Sunday picnic. This was closely followed by a superb one hand save by Mr.Mooney. But once that early scare was weathered, Stanley played some delightful football in the first half. Crooks was especially influential, but the whole team were solid.
Orient, who I thought weren't a bad team, either chose or were reduced to lofting high balls from the wings into the box as their principal means of attack. Their No 9 was Mullen-like in his ability to get his head to the high balls, but his efforts rarely came to anything as Stanley's defence just cleared matters up. Their top scorer was really well marshalled by the back line, and barely threatened.
Not fair to single out any one player as they all produced the goods but I did notice the ability of Mr. Conneely, especially in the second half as Orient got more and more desperate, to make himself available to take the ball from a colleague and relieve the pressure.
Everything about the day was enjoyable, including the hospitality of the home fans and club. I don't think Orient should be too disheartened....it was the first time Stanley have ever beaten them after all.
Exile on Spencer St is online now   Reply With Quote