View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 09:59   #9
DtheP47
I am Banned

Re: Springhill Car Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael365 View Post
I'm very interested in Spring Hill Car club; my Uncles, Frank and Bill Worswick were both members during the '60's, and I think my Uncle Frank was particularly active navigating on rallies in the '60's. I have a trophy in my possession, won, I believe by my Uncle Bill, engraved 'S.A.C.C. Triangular Rally Best Novice Navigator', sadly without a date, which I believe is a Spring Hill event; presumably in the '60's.
As I'm now navigating myself in historic rallies, I'd be interested if anyone could give me more detail?
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
remember the car club n frank eland, ratbag? not in my eyes, he banned me from metalwork fer setting fire at the forge n used to wash his car round the back of school, was great fer having a fag instead of slogging away filing n stuff, Top Geezer.
Yes Frank Eland used to have us polishing up trophies and car badges during our metalwork classes at Accy Tech on Union Road.
I also remember Frank organising the sales of newspapers during the Accrington holiday shutdown. I had a great pitch on the wall of the house* on Manchester Road across Christ Church St from the Park Inn.
He used to rock up in his Hillman Minx and supply us with the days newsprint and collect the returns and takings later.
Nice little earner during the holidays.
* Was a toffee shop then, Atarah or Retlaw will probably know more.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@?dg=dbrw&newdg=1
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote