View Single Post
Old 09-01-2016, 10:03   #42
DaveinGermany
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Halal butcher?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Of course there is a wider debate DinG, probably a thread wander though, equally your points here apply. The rearing/farming of animals the sole objective being for them end up on our plate.
What indeed is humane?
Indubitably so, without wanders the forum would be an oh so tedious place! As to humane, I enjoy my lumps of meat as much as the next man & to see a Sow rooting around in an open field in Englands green & pleasant land, being tailed by a hoard of little piglets, rumbling, tumbling & enjoying a damn good wallow makes me feel all warm & contented.

This however doesn't detract from the fact that I know in x-years down the line those delightful little piggies, will be even more delightfully resting on my breakfast plate reincarnated as Sossys & bacon. But the difference is, prior to them being a hangover cure they've apparently had a pretty good time of their short little porky lives.

Then compare that to a Sow in a pen as is more common here in Europe, caged in a space not much more than 3x3 mtrs, with her litter suckling away but no place to gaily romp freely in open pastures to proverbially "Wallow like a pig in shiite!". Admittedly a rather basic comparison I know but it will do to highlight my point, the inevitable outcome is unaltered but for what it's worth, to my mind at least, option nr.1, seems a damned sight more humane wouldn't you agree?