Thread: Toothache
View Single Post
Old 25-01-2016, 12:17   #10
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Toothache

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Walker View Post
Margaret may I ask for a little clarification, was this organised through or at the school? The reason I ask is I have no memory of any 'medical interest' in our teeth at school. I remember two visits by the 'nit nurse' who took a casual interest in our hair and significant interest in our ears, and three visits by nurses to give polio innoculations but thats all.

NB This was primary school, secondary school - nothing!
Yes, it was through school.
The school dental service used to visit and check our teeth, the nit nurse came and checked our heads(thankfully never found any little walkers in mine or any of my brothers) and the medical service also checked our weight and I can remember having to pick marble up with my toes.
We were made to get undressed and stand in the main hall of the school in just our vests and drawers while a barrage of nurses checked our height, weight and general wellbeing. They did eye tests too.
This was at Junior school...in secondary school it was just the dentist and the nit nurse that I remember.

If problems were found then you used to get a slip of paper to take home for parental consent to treatment.
One of the girls in my class was identified as having some problem and she used to go to Cannon St clinic every week for sunlamp treatment....i was quite envious of that....not so envious of the slips from the dentists...in fact i once got one and failed to give it to my parents...thinking I would escape the dreaded clinic. No such thing the head master sent Ma a letter to dob me in.

All this happened in the early 1950's.
Surely I am not the only BOB on here to remember these things.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote