Thread: War Records
View Single Post
Old 31-01-2016, 19:53   #5
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: War Records

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
I have the service number of a relative, from WW1.
Where is the best place to start researching his service record
Did you find the AVL in the library or from a web site.
For a start of I indexed all Greater Accringtons Absent Voters lists some 20 odd years ago, and came across numerous errors, now that I've finished my search for Accy's WW1 soldiers I decided to check te AVL against the medal rolls at the National Archives, you would think that a soldier would know his details, Kew would have us believe that soldiers were given a card to fill in, to me thats barn yard confetti, battles were going on advances and retreats, what about P-O-W's, as well as that there are 2 men inb Acc's AVL that were killed in 1916.
If you don't want the expence of a search at Kew, your best bet is a library, you can log on and seach the surviving records on Ancestry for free. Just one thing to remember, their index was created in india, so you might have to be creative in your search.
If he's from Greater Accrington it might have been better if you had posted his name. rank, No, Regt and addess. Just remembered that last number is his polling number, just like the one you have today.

Last edited by Retlaw; 31-01-2016 at 19:56.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote