View Single Post
Old 01-03-2016, 23:18   #16
Exile on Spencer St
God Member

Re: Yeovil match thread

After Oxford, one of the best, this must rank amongst the most frustrating performances this season for me. If only, like Olympic hanky-waving, points were awarded for artistic impression. But little or no point totally dominating possession, making them look a very poor team in the first half, running rings around them with myriad inter-passing, if it remains nil-nil.
At half time, we three wise monkeys, plus Mrs.Exile, all looked at one another and prophesied we'd rue not killing them off.
And, lo, it came to pass.
Gave them a goal, albeit they deserved something for not being quite so appalling in the second half, and it re-energised Yeovil. Stanley huffed and puffed but never really threatened their goal. The first half header (was it Billy Whizz?) was the best effort, and save, but all the other shots were straight at their keeper's stomach. They could be still playing now and I suspect they probably still wouldn't have scored.
Thought Stanley over elaborated the one touch passing game at times, rarely was a simple ball put into space behind their defence for someone to run on to. Are our wingers told to stay so deep when an attack builds? Every time Pierro got the ball he had three defenders between him and the goal, yet there was space behind their full back. Was it significant that Captain Conneely had the odd rare off moment; his misplaced pass, I think, led to their goal. Whilst no-one had a bad game, it just didn't gell tonight.
But at least it should silence, for a few games at least, those who seem to think it's managers who win or lose games by their tactical substitutions, or lack thereof.
I think the one lesson from tonight is that winning or losing is down to the players. Will be interested to see what they've learned at Wimbledon on Saturday.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web