View Single Post
Old 06-03-2016, 13:11   #52
Greger

Re: Don's Match Thread

Agree with with Exile. Football's inability to learn from other sport (or from previous mistakes) has always baffled me. But having said that, there is absolutely nothing Stanley can do about it. Technically the ref is correct, or at least entitled to do it. Football is the only sport where nobody save the ref knows when the game finishes. I, too, remember the stick Clive Thomas got, but it was in another era, before time was added on. And his mistake was really allowing the corner to be taken. He had somehow got it into his head that he should blow for time when the ball was in play, but he had told players close to him, including the goalkeeper, that he would blow for time as soon as the ball was in play. Stupid I know, but there was no way he could have allowed that goal. It was poor refereeing, but hardly of mr. Kettle's standard.

Compare that to what happened to Iceland in the Euro qualifiers. Time was up, but the Czechs still scored from a corner 20 seconds past. When the coach enquired, the ref explained that the corner had to be taken and some 15-20 seconds allowed for the team taking it to try to score. The coach, with 40 years in the game and five World cups behind him, had of course never heard of this.

OK. So what is the message then, you might ask. None, really, except that refs can do as they bloody well please. It is all down to their judgment, or in Mr Kettle's case, lack of it.
Greger is offline   Reply With Quote