Thread: P C Phillips
View Single Post
Old 23-03-2016, 10:38   #13
daisybeth
Junior Member+

Re: P C Phillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balbus View Post
Although we have not heard the evidence, most of us probably think that the jury got it wrong. Is it time we looked at the jury system again? Has it outlived its usefulness? It is sometimes said, unkindly, that you are no longer judged by your peers, but by 12 people too stupid to get out of jury service. (Apologies to those who have done their duty, and perhaps enjoyed the experience.) Should the system perhaps be replaced by a judge sitting with 2 lay assessors, as in South Africa (although they reached the wrong verdict in the Pretorius case)? Such a system would be more efficient. quicker, and less expensive.
Having been summonsed for jury service myself last year, and managed to excuse myself [I have to add that this was not so easy to do], it left me considering at the time also, as to the whole jury system. I'm not sure that I could be so impartial to judge whatever the crime and thinking of the diverse views of 'joe public' however well educated, facing any jury appears to be akin to a lottery. Life, I feel, is full of winners and losers and we are all pawns in the game of a higher power.
daisybeth is offline   Reply With Quote