View Single Post
Old 16-04-2016, 19:42   #48
Exile on Spencer St
God Member

Re: Morecambe Match Thread

I've huge admiration for Professor Coleman, not least for the way he has conducted the post-match interviews this season and maintained his positivity and balance. Today he was understandably frustrated. I totally agree with what he said; that the team cannot afford to 'coast' or be seen to be coasting having got into the lead and end up regretting points thrown away by surrendering leads.
I'm sure, like everyone else, he'd have liked Stanley to really go for a third goal in the minutes immediately after Windass's penalty.
Now this is not meant as criticism of him, but, in one respect, I wonder if Coley himself might have been able to make more of an impact today.
The penalty came in the 48th minute, but bringing on Fosu-Henry didn't happen until the 73rd minute. If I'm hearing him right, it was in those 20 minutes in between that Stanley lost the initiative and Morecambe took it.
The lad from Reading has his weaknesses as well as his strengths but, to my eye, bringing on someone like him says "we're going for more goals". He's the type of player that is desperate to make a name for himself by scoring and/creating goals, and bringing him on sends a message to both teams.
I'm not suggesting that Fosu-Henry on his own can win games, but increasing the attacking pressure when your opponents are down, not when the initiative has been lost, is one of the few positive ways managers can help to win games.
There'll be more twists and turns, but I believe that the entire squad and management will give everything in the next four games.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote