Thread: New Bus Station
View Single Post
Old 02-08-2016, 19:42   #146
Busman747
Always EVIL within us

Re: New Bus Station

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I guess I must be. i have travelled all over the country and indeed all over the world...it seems that some countires can run a public service which reflects the needs of the public(I cannot tell you if any of these were subsidised as I didn't feel the need to ask).

I know that bus comapnies run to make a profit....and I do not begrudge them that, but they should also be offering some kind of service too. People WILL pay to get the service they need to get about.

Many years ago(back in the early seventies) the bus services were undoubtedly better, but still there were deficiencies. If I was on an early shift on a Sunday morning I walked from Clayton le moor to Blythes chemical works at Church to get a bus that would take me into Blackburn...it was a bus the the chemical company paid for, but they let nurses travel into Blackburn on it as a courtesy.
Many other times I had to beg a lift or opt for a late shift.

More people now work those unsocial hours, but the bus services do not really reflect this.
So what do these people do...they must get taxis, for that is the only way to get about if you do not drive or if you cannot afford your own transport.
My first run is at 7:50 going around Barnfield and Laneside. If any elderly customer has an important doctors appointment, this bus is a godsend. I average ONE passenger per day on this particular run, sometimes none at all. rarely, I may have two. I am being paid for this, diesel is used, the mechanical back up is available, wear and tear on the vehicle etc etc. There is NO PROFIT in this but management continue to run it.

As for your comment that people will pay for the service, the answer is NO!!
9 years ago (imagine the cost of fuel in 2007) the cost of a ticket was £1-25 and due to the removal of subsidies, last year (after a couple of increases in the intervening years) the price of a ticket into town was put up to £1-90. You have no idea of the complaints that I received because of this ------ Outrageous, Criminal, It's cheaper by taxi and I'm not going to use your bus ever again!!!

People want the service but are not willing to pay for it.

Like you, I too can remember the 70's, I lived in a village in Bedfordshire and we were served by a bus that went through the village twice an hour. By 1990, we had three buses per day to and from town and the last one was around 7pm.

I understand that you expect a service Margaret but service comes at a price that you would not be willing to pay. I sympathise with your sentiments but practicality transcends.