View Single Post
Old 16-08-2016, 22:54   #24
Exile on Spencer St
God Member

Re: Wycombe Wanderers Thread

Well deserved point and a fair result in the end. Proverbial game of two halves, Wycombe stronger and more dominant in the first half, hassling our full backs before they even got the ball, but Stanley much improved in the second half, finding more space and time on the ball as Wycombe couldn't keep up the frenetic pace.
Their goal was a bit of a sucker punch as the ref, who was the usual level for League 2 but managed to distribute his inconsistent decisions equally (!), gave a free kick for what was never a foul on the say so of the linesman. Good cross into the middle of the box and the defensive waters parted for The Fat One to nod home.
Coley had some words with the ref at half time, and must have had more with the team as they turned it around in the second 45 (+5) minutes.
Thought Donacien had a good game in the first half down the right side with O'Sullivan, who looked like he could do with shedding the odd ounce to get back to full speed (hope his hamstring that saw him subbed isn't too serious)
Hughes, Beckles and Pearson had their hands full in the first half hour with The Fat One, but by the second half they'd got him under control, with one player challenging him and the other dropping off for the loose ball. Beckles did everything he needed to as a CB which, at this level, sometimes requires booting the ball into row z. He looked as able as Davies did last year at this stage.
Midfield was not as incisive as it might have been and I missed the fact that Scot Brown didn't make the line-up at the last minute. So did the team, I suspect.
But great to see Billy Kee back where he belongs, although he was up against another man-mountain in the middle of Wycombe's defence.
Sean McConville took the goal well and had an excellent game; certainly he got plenty of practiced with corners.
Still work in progress, I reckon, but it looks like the huge squad will come in handy with all these early injuries. On that matter, it must be the first time I've ever seen a programme with Stanley's squad outnumbering the opposition.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote