View Single Post
Old 22-09-2016, 11:11   #18
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: Hammers post match thoughts

Sooooooo....... PROUD of everyone who represented ACCRINGTON STANLEY last night on such a big stage against Premier League West Ham United in London and on the media!
TO A MAN the PLAYERS were simply MAGNIFICENT and were a credit to JOHN COLEMAN and JIMMY and the rest of the staff.........
THE STANLEY FAITHFUL were just 'OUT OF THIS WORLD' in their vocal support!!!!!

It was an amazing feeling entering the Olympic Stadium to watch 'Little Old Stanley' from League Two play against such lofty opponents. The ground is wonderful but West Ham are still finding their way in learning how to best use the stadium for their fans. Talking to some 'Bobbies' on the approach to the ground they didn't seem to understand their role and were somewhat disparaging of West Ham's lines of communication. Their seemed to be far more stewards around than was necessary but they were friendly enough but could have offered a smile or two more!
Before the match I was anxious about the position of the Stanley Faithful in the ground. In the end I was quite happy, in that we were in the lower section and behind and to one side of the goals, and we had a good view of the field of play.

The match was simply a wonderful display of all that is good about STANLEY and the way that COLEY likes our team to play. The pitch was a little wider than ours and this gave us more opportunity to play our passing game. I did a TV interview for International Reuters before the match and when asked for my pre-match thoughts, I suggested that if Stanley did not concede a goal early on then the longer that the match went on, then the more likely we would win by single goal....... I was nearly proved correct but for that man with the 'Magic foot'...PAYET!

First half was pretty even but with West Ham having far more possession than us. However, when we did get the ball we always looked good moving forward and with Brown and Coneely working superbly together we moved the ball up the pitch using our inter-passing mode of play. Coneely was back to his best form of last season and he was the hub of most of our play. The defence looked prettycool and 'quite at home' in a well organised formation but were always willing to make the right decision when to put the ball out of play into Row Z98. West Ham should have scored on 13 minutes though when their centre forward got behind our defence but he got the ball abit too close to his feet and I think it was Pearson who made the saving tackle! Beckles and Pearson compliment each other so well. Beckles would not have looked out his depth even had he been wearing a West Ham shirt playing for them! Half time came with a 0 - 0 scoreline and my confidence started to grow even more!

West Ham manager Bilic knew that a positive result for them would require their top men to be on the pitch and he brought on Lanzini and Payet! West Ham started the second half with a much more 'pacey' approach and initially put our defence under a lot of pressure. The boys stood firm though and keeper Parish looked solid making a couple of saves when needed. The longer the game went on though the more we came into it and we matched them 'toe to toe' in an end to end affair! In the closing minutes of the ninety they won a series of corners and put us under a lot of pressure and on about 85 minutes Parish produced a SUPERB SAVE from a 25 yard shot which was going in the bottom right corner. He stretched wonderfully and finger tipped the ball round the post for yet another corner. West Ham went down to 10 men when a player had to go off with an injury from what I would describe as 'a robust tackle' a few minutes earlier. I was counting down the minutes and thinking....."Extra time against Ten Men..We can win this!"....when a desperate tackle gave West Ham a free kick just 20 yards out!......
PAYET strode up......... and it was all over!!!!!!96th minute!!!!!!!!

Well done to all the fans who travelled down from up north , and to our 'southern' fan base too for turning out in such numbers, and for contributing to a wonderful night that will live long in our memories and in the HISTORY OF ACCRINGTON STANLEY....

Its a big job for John and Jimmy to pick the players up for Saturday at Colchester but the players should be confident that they can beat any other team on any given day in League Two!!"

ON STANLEY ON
SO PROUD........ SO PROUD .....SO PROUD...

choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote