Thread: M&M Bankruptcy
View Single Post
Old 24-09-2016, 16:38   #27
Busman747
Always EVIL within us

Re: M&M Bankruptcy

Thank you all that have supported M&M on this thread. The company HAS cut corners simply to survive running the risk of being immediately being taken off the road by the all-powerful Ministry of Transport.

Did you know that at ANY time, they could check business accounts and if the owner didn't have £3,000? (Not totally sure of the amount but I'm close) in the bank for EACH bus, they could be fined or have their Operators licenses rescinded?

That EVERY bus HAS to have the equivalent of an MoT every 6 weeks by an independent mechanic? One day late and points are deducted on their "Traffic light system" GREEN for the good'uns, AMBER for those that need watching and RED for the cowboys. (or those that can't keep up with the costs)

Up until recently, the council encouraged companies to serve communities that were "non-profitable" by paying them for the service by giving subsidies. A company I worked for 8 years back had a local run which had an average of 50 passes a day plus around £4-00 in cash. This would have generated around £25-00 per day. Deduct wages, maintenance costs and the cost of the vehicle which was bought especially - - - and what have you left without subsidies? DEBT!! Small private commercial companies just cannot absorb these costs.

M&M were a "local" company that tried it's best but ultimately was beaten by the system! (Did you know that the "skilled" drivers of M&M were on the minimum wage of £7.20???)

Like Harry, I have been employed by Pilkingtons. I had my doubts, Pilkies had a reputation for slapdash maintenance due to action from the Ministry of Transport - - - but I have found that they are very conscious of public safety and have found that happy medium of serving the community and making a small profit.

Support the local companies, as Tesco's say: Every little helps