View Single Post
Old 30-09-2016, 20:18   #17
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Bulgaria bans full-face Islamic veil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
I was actually going to retire from this thread, since I seem to be the only one who finds it slightly oppressive,but your goading seems to have worked its magic...So, one last comment before I retire to the MDing thread.

Yes,I feel it's wrong to deny folk basic freedoms...you may also be right to consider covering up your "ugly mug" from the public

M's argument holds water when it comes to things that are purely symbolic,but when it comes to stripping the clothes of a woman it drys up dramatically....its a rather Victorian point of view in my opinion.
I don't know where you got the idea that I think it is symbolic...It isn't and don't you think it is oppressive that women believe that they should hide their faces for cultural reasons? These cultural reasons decided by the men of their race. The men of the family brainwash the girls into accepting that covering the face is for the faith...that is shows they are modest.

They may say that it gives them freedom, but how?
How can you be free if the thing that makes you recognisable is hidden..your face. The thing that conveys to the outside world how you feel, whether you are happy, sad, angry, apathetic.
How is that freedom?

recently a police force were talking about employing ethnic minorities and allowing them to wear a burkha. How would that work?
A police officer whose face is hidden from view.
Would you like the surgeon performing your operation to wear a full face veil......or the staff caring for you...watching for changes in your condition...because I certainly wouldn't.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 30-09-2016 at 20:25.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote