View Single Post
Old 09-10-2016, 08:43   #58
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: The Cheltenham Roar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
Choirboy- it was the best referee performance I've seen at the Wham. A lesser man could have sent Boco off for a slightly late challenge but instead had the awareness to know there was no malice. This bloke played on at every opportunity. He was a breath of fresh air.
In my humble opinion of course!
Lord D....
Whilst I applaud our referees general attempts to maintain the flow of matches, yesterday was an example where the referee should have pulled play up occasionally after twenty minutes or so to warn players that the yellow card would be next.
Cheltenham had more than an average number of tall players who used their height to 'Barge' into our two centre backs. Beckles deservedly got the MOM award because his strength enabled him to cope better than Hughes who was substituted. It was a 'Barge' by the Cheltenham lad that caused the incident where Boco was assaulted! Their lad was trying to win a throw in by 'sheilding' the ball to let it go out of play. Boco tried, as he always does, to get around his opponent only to be shoved unceremoniously into the dug out wall! It was indeed highly dangerous play and really compromised the safety of a fellow professional. Had this happened on the street, the Cheltenham lad could well have been on a charge of attempting to cause GBH! If the referee had blown straight away for the initial 'Barge' then the second offence could have been avoided. Actually the referee, who was very close to the incident, didn't even blow his whistle or signal for an offence. He was going to give a throw in and only took action as a result of the fracas that ensued! Good refereeing Lord D?....not in my book!
Having said all of the above it was not IMHO a particulalry 'dirty' match but the referee got several decisions wrong by not punishing the barging or the professional fouls enough and yes .....Romy should have been booked late on for that foul from behind which occured right under my nose on the Whinney Hill side!

To say..."This bloke played on at every opportunity."....does not necessarily make for a good performance by a referee ...IMHO!

ps Stanley need to do better!

Last edited by choirboy; 09-10-2016 at 08:49.
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote