View Single Post
Old 31-10-2016, 12:27   #11
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: Greater Accrington Heroes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I can see why you would be relieved. I would imagine it has been a mammoth task...a bit like eating an elephant with a mustard spoon......but now it is done you damn well should be proud. It is an amazing achievment and one which would have defeated a lesser man.

I don't know if anyone has ever thanked you for doing this research, but if they haven't then let me be the first to say 'Thank you Walter' may your legacy be recognised for the great achievement that it is.

Oh and if you need any decipherin' doing...I'm your man.
Thanks Margaret, youve been a big help with some of the old illnesses and ailments those lads suffered from, I think that 1000's of lives lost during WW1 could have been saved if Fleming had been born earlier, and you wouldn't beleive the number who died from cloroform. Yet in all the letters home fromsoldiers mates or the Battalion Padre, they all either died peacfully or instantly, no one screaming in agony or such, yet who can have his leg or arm blown off, an not scream the place down. But from what has come to light is the wounded and dying soldiers name for the R.A.M.C. Rob all my comrades. Soldiers who knew they were dying whe the doctors saw them at a field dressin station, send my watch and wallet to my wife, only for them not to be able to find any thing in his pockets. There were several articles in the Blackburn news papers of photos of wives, children an girl fiends found on battle fields, "does any one recognise who this is".

Last edited by Retlaw; 31-10-2016 at 12:35.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote