View Single Post
Old 03-01-2017, 18:12   #62
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: Hartlepool match thread (H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yonmon View Post
A case in point highlighted my thoughts about luck having any effect whatsoever during a soccer match . A fan sitting by me bemoaned the fact that Mark Hughes was so unlucky to concede the free kick which resulted in a Hartlepool goal .
But in reality Mark slipped, the ball being in close proximity to his hand struck the same, Graham Salisbury, a poor excuse for a Referee and a poser to boot, saw this and decided it was a free kick, and the rest we know.
Yonmon, Hughes did not 'slip' as you describe. He was pushed from the side and as he wobbled sideways his arm contacted the ball........
I agree that it was not 'Bad Luck'....
It was BAD REFEREEING!
It should clearly have been a free kick to Stanley!
As you say the Ref was very poor.

Whilst out cycling today I was pondering on the 'bad refereeing' on display almost every time I watch Stanley and when I watch highlights on TV of matches from the Premier League down to the lower divisions.
Now, while I am prepared to be critical of referees when it is justified, I do wonder how much more difficult their job has been made in recent years by two elements of the game;

1) The almost annual strange directives given to them from above to focus on one 'new' element of play at the start of a new season! A few seasons ago it was 'The tackle from behind'. Then it was the messing up of the 'Offside Rule'. This last couple of seasons it has been 'Studs showing' in a tackle! Hopefully, next year I'd really like to see that they stop players from 'shirt pulling' and 'opponent hugging' and that they apply the 'obstruction rule' properly.

2) The other element which makes problems for the referees is player behaviour. Two items so obvious here to me are;
a) Players constantly berating the referees with false claims for free kicks, hand ball, corners etc.
b) The other is my utter dislike for players who act as if they have been brought down by 'machine gun fire' and then try to get fellow professionals booked or sent off. (See Phil Jones last night for Man Utd v West Ham! What an actor!)

The big question is....Who would be a referee?
choirboy is offline   Reply With Quote