View Single Post
Old 04-01-2017, 09:54   #73
yonmon
Senior Member+

Re: Hartlepool match thread (H)

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey hanger View Post
Would you be a Referee ?....perhaps one or more of the Refs who post on the forum will provide us with the answer ?.
i still am but would i start doing it again now the answer is no. players always only know laws of the game when it suits them but now its so confusing for them and officials. you get things like so and so sent someone off last week for that or the opposite being said. there,s a big difference between how older refs carry on to the new up and coming ones. still enjoy it though as if you,ve had a good game its very satisfacting and has given me chance to perform at villa park. the old filbert street, sixfields, carrow road and others where i would never got to as a player.[/QUOTE]

I like the 'chance to perform' MH , did you actually feel that you were giving a performance at the time ?..this is not one of my critical posts incidentally !...the reason I ask is that I seem to see both on TV ( Mike Dean at Old Trafford !) , and on Tuesday at the Crown where Graham Salisbury's strutting around and posturing disturbed me a lot, 'performances' which are not always aimed at controlling a game but rather seeking to elevate their own importance to it !.

I only attempted to Referee one game a long, long time ago now !, where no Officials had turned up although both teams had and we're champing at the bit, so it was suggested that as a neutral onlooker , who someone quite mistakenly thought new something about the laws of Football, I should ' officiate' !.
Now my ego being what it was in those days, persuaded me to take up the cudgel, thinking that there would be nowt to it !.
All I can remember really is that after following 11 young lads around the field for ten minutes waving my handkerchief to enforce a decision ( I didn't own a whistle you see !)..and becoming increasingly bored with the whole thing. When this strapping youth took umbrage as I suggested that a tackle which he made almost decapitated his opponent,and disagreed with my decision to award a penalty , his words were ( F... off you blind B...ard! )....I handed in my handkerchief and effed off towards Rishton as quickly as my little legs could carry me !...

So who would be a Referee ?..

I value your comments and admire anyone brave enough to take control of a Soccer match...as long as they don't overdo the Dramatics !.
yonmon is offline   Reply With Quote