Thread: World War 1
View Single Post
Old 07-01-2017, 21:13   #362
Chestnut
Junior Member+

Re: World War 1

Hi again
Thanks all for the comments. I have a few email correspondences going as well, so I'll try to summarize everything going on.
I heard back from my cousin about the photo. His father lived longer than mine, and they also remained in Pawtucket, so he heard more stories. He says Jeremiah wasn't guarding a monument, but a railway bridge. There was a fear that bridges could be bombed by "Irish sympathetic to the Germans".
I agree that lots of people seem to have settled in or near Pawtucket from the Accrington area. I've heard that the mills here had people recruiting laborers from mill towns in England. Pawtucket must have had a good recruiter in Accrington.
I was aware that William Farrington returned to Accrington in 1913. Also in March 1915. He must have missed home, or his older brothers a lot. He was visiting his brother Arthur in Burnley in 1913. I missed T Leyland as a traveling companion. I'll go back and look. His stepfather was Fred Leyland and the manifest says he was going back to mother I(sabella) Leyland.
Chestnut is offline   Reply With Quote