Thread: Sean Mc
View Single Post
Old 18-02-2017, 22:37   #939
Chimer
Senior Member+

Re: Sean Mc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
The baffling thing for a new fan like me is that he's been our most consistent player this year (well, apart from Matty P - which goes without saying) yet the criticism I see of him is that he's inconsistent. Or maybe that's what's levelled at him whenever he has a good game.....maybe that's a way of avoiding giving him the praise he deserves?
It's a long story, and if you can bear to read this thread from the start you'll get some idea of just how committed some people are (or hopefully, were) to rubbishing his every move.

In the beginning he was slagged off for not being good enough, only in the team because he’s Jimmy B’s nephew. Then he was slagged off for leaving for newly-relegated Stockport after the first play-off failure (where this thread starts), and people tracked him round non-league delighting in his failure to set non-league alight. Then he was slagged off for coming back, still not good enough and only in the team because … blah blah.

I only see a few games a season at most, so what do I know? Whatever, for me, first time around he was promising but far too lightweight, like a lot of the wingers we tried around that time (e.g. Andy Mangan). This time, he’s still lightweight in the loose rucks which we see a lot of in League 2, but significantly better all round, this season his crosses especially. Also I think he’s taking on more responsibility, which means when he does cock up it’s highly noticeable – and don’t his critics love to notice.

That said, one or two of the said critics are finally beginning to occasionally acknowledge he may not be completely useless – and with any luck this may catch on. We’ll have to see if they cut him any slack next time he has a real stinker.