View Single Post
Old 23-02-2005, 19:32   #1
Oldgobbin
Full Member+

Racism at the IES

Let me start by agreeing with the majority of posters about last night's game. Yes, we were outplayed, we were poor and didn't deserve anything but at the end of the day we got a point, so well done to the lads for not giving up! However, I must say that I was left very disappointed and ashamed by one guy standing near me - a guy , I might add, who is noted for his very loud voice and usually amusing comments. Last night, however, in the second half, he took it upon himself to shout two or three particularly offensive racist comments towards Dean Howell, who was visibly upset and reacted angrily towards them. Let's not forget that this is a player who at one stage we might have been interested in signing and who, we hear, actually came over to have talks with the management. We glibly talk about kicking racism out of football, encouraging the wearing of anti-racism wristbands, and yet this is the reception we give to an opposing player, whose only crime is not to be the same colour as the majority of us.! I may be over-reacting, but, had I been Howell, I wouldn't be at all interested in joining a club where fans loudly refer to me as "Ch**ken G***ge and K**te Kin*e. Sorry if people don't agree with me here, but last night my delight at salvaging a point was definitely somewhat soured by this.

Last edited by Oldgobbin; 23-02-2005 at 19:34.
Accrington Web