Thread: Ultras!
View Single Post
Old 21-03-2017, 20:44   #18
deeayess

Re: Ultras!

[QUOTE=monkey hanger;1190513]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Didsbury View Post
I must say it's the best way I can think of, apart from winning games, to get people to the ground. I know it's not to everyone's taste (my parents hate the drum, although my dad takes his hearing aid out now so can put up with it) but I think it's great being in a noisy, singing crowd.
More of a community spirit if it's done without too much bad language or too much aggression.

used to love going to grounds where you got a mass of singing swaying hordes where you stood still and ended up twenty feet nearer the front. proper atmosphere and even a poor game and defeat was offset by the experiance. the old den at millwall was worth the admission price just for the atmosphere alone, but sadly those days are over with all seater grounds, elf and sadie etc. at least i was born early enough to be part of the old scene which i,m sure a lot of younger fans would crave for.
I served my time on the terraces at Ibrox, Parkhead and Hampden and although it was a great atmosphere it was also dangerous. I can remember leaving games and your feet didn't touch the ground and your only option was to go with the flow.

You always knew the newbies because they would come in and stand leaning on the crush barriers whereas the old hands stood in front of them. They soon learned after a goal was scored .

I also remember that the worst feeling was in the Rangers end at Parkhead or Hampden when Celtic scored and you saw them jumping around then the sound hit you a second or so later. That silence was a horrible feeling.
deeayess is offline   Reply With Quote