Thread: Crewe
View Single Post
Old 09-04-2017, 09:40   #44
choirboy
Senior Member+

Re: Crewe

It was certainly a 'Game of Two Halves' yesterday!
Give credit to Crewe as they played really well in the first half and they created and finished their two goals superbly.
Coley realised where our main problem was, which I was pointing out to my family at half time. It seemed clear to me that we were playing too deep in central midfield and allowing their No 8 and No 18 too much time on the ball to set up their incisive attacks. They were both excellent players IMHO.
Husin did really well when he came into the team when Seamus was injured but he does play in a very similar way to Seamus. Coley realised this and moved Pearson into midfield with clear instructions to play higher up towards the two Crewe midfielders and to upset their playing pattern. Which he did very effectively and this tactical move was the game changer for me. The Don slotted in well at left back, the whole team got their 'Mojo' back and we took the match by the scruff of the neck. Hughes was brilliant, so was Harvey Rodgers! When we were really 'Under the Cosh' in the first half he put in some timely, outstanding tackles on their talented left winger!
Our goals were fully deserved in the second half and resulted from massive pressure with Beckles in particular making his presence felt in their penalty box at corner kicks! Omar had been a little too casual at times but that is just his style. I still believe that he will eventually play at a higher level. Shay's goal from the free kick was just PERFECTION! It was right in front of us in the Clayton End and the ball went in to a 'box' no bigger than 12 Square Inches in between the post and the crossbar! ......Simply UNSTOPPABLE!

We should have had a penalty at 3 - 2 when Clarke was dragged off the ball when a cross came in from the left wing. IMHO the referee was all at sea regarding his use, or mis-use of the yellow card! Their No5 had been booked early on in the first half for a professional foul, which some of those around me thought should have been a red card. The same No 5 should have received a second yellow for a violent tackle into the back of either Billy... or Matt, (not sure which?), where he just smashed into the back of our lad violently and dangerously! The ref chickened out and then immediately booked Billy for a much less dangerous mistimed effort to get to the ball. Shortly afterwards he booked Shay for simply 'Trying too hard!' in his quest to get to the ball too!
In the end we fully deserved our win and we could have won by a score of 5 -3 or even 6-3 !
The players are certainly 'Believing' in themselves and always look confident that they are going to score goals. Our defence has looked solid for most of the season and if Omar can just fully maintain his concentration and eliminate that degree of casualness that he showed on Saturday then we should win more matches before the end of the season.
ON STANLEY ON
KEEP THE FAITH
ONWARDS AND UPWARDS
:dr ink:

Last edited by choirboy; 09-04-2017 at 09:42.