Thread: World War 1
View Single Post
Old 16-04-2017, 13:12   #365
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck View Post
On a recent visit to a local flea market I purchased WW1service medals ,British War Medal and Victory medal named to George Edward Evans , a stoker in the Royal Navy .

Through my research I hsve determined that George Evans was born on April 12th 1888 at 4 Hood Street Accrington .His mother was Elizabeth Evans , as shown on the christening record . The 1891 census record shows George at 2 years old residing with his mother and her family grandparents and numerous uncles with the name Grindley at 4Hood a Street Accrington .

George became a tram driver in Accrington before joining the Royal Navy December 28th 1916 . He served in the ship HMS Penstemon archieving the rank of stoker 1st Class before being discharged in1919 . It is perhaps interesting that George joined the navy . I am familiar with the history of the Accrington Pals and their horrendous losses on the Somme on July 1st 1916. Obviously George did not join up in 1914 in K1 like so many local men . I just wonder about the link to the Royal Navy . Of course by 1916 many jobs previously held by men were carried out by women , this would include tram drivers .

If anyone has information about George Evans and his family , especially pictures I would be most appreciative.

Sincerely

Canuck

Sorry, but the only George Edward Evans in my files, enlisted in April 1915 & served in the 2nd East Lancs, was wounded December 1915, formerly employed at H & B's lived in Higher Antley St. His brother Herbert also served in the East Lancs, and was awarded the D.C.M.
I have no record of the existence of your man, his name is not shown on the Accrington Tramways R-O-H, he is not in the Absent Voters list of 1918, nor is he in the 1914 Burgess Rolls, either at 4 Hood St, or any other street in Accrington, nor can I find any Grindley's resident in Accrington, from 1914 to 1919.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote