Thread: World War 1
View Single Post
Old 17-04-2017, 13:25   #375
Retlaw
I am Banned

Re: World War 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It really saddens me that people can part with the medals that were won by their family member.
I think that if family members no longer want these medals there should be somewhere that they could send them to be kept...ah, but then some would want to benefit financially from these items with so much history attached to them.

Canuck, I take my hat off to you for your diligent search for the details of this man and his family.
I have just spent the weekend searching (it was a FREE weekend on Ancestry UK)for my ancestors and so I know what a mind boggling and sometimes, frustrating pursuit it can be.
Well done that man
Margaret. There are places for medals that are no longer wanted by relatives, who can no longer pass them down, Fulwood Museum has 1000's in display cases, all researched and diligently mounted with ladels, by a fellow volunteer at the Museum called Doug, when ever I turned up Doug would have been there for hours, Accrington Libray has a collection of medals and death pennies, when people give them to me they end up in the library. You'd be surprised at how many old folks who have told me, you take these, there is no one else interested, but what gets me, they have thanked me.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote