Thread: Bus Fares?
View Single Post
Old 27-04-2017, 16:59   #17
kestrelx
Senior Member+

Re: Bus Fares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Can't tell you the cost of the journeys you mention.
No Oyster cards to my knowledge...but more people seem to be using smartphones with their ticket on it.
I think the flat rate fare is a good idea...they do that in some cities in Australia.
The tickets are Zoned so if you go more than a certain level of zones you have to pay the extra.
We used the trains a lot to get into Melbourne and had been paying tram fares in the city....not knowing that our train ticket gave us free access to trams and buses within the city.(and back then it also allowed cheaper fares on the ferries to Williamstown too - if my memory serves me right)
We did a lot of travelling on the buses and on the trains, the services were prompt, clean and good value for money.
Trains in Sydney were double decker.
Although we were not residents we qualified for cheaper tickets on the buses after a certain time...a bit like here.
The buses here take cash.
I remember last time I was up there I thought the bus fares were a bit expensive compared to London.

They could have a similar system in the Hynburn area like Oyster card and have a flat fee, no matter how long you travel on one bus. In London if there is one bus that goes all the way across London it's still £1:50 no matter how many zones you go through and how long it takes and if you get off and on a 2nd bus in 1 hour the 2nd ride is free. All the buses aren't run by the same company down here but are over seen by one body, Transport for London.

I remember back in the day, in Accy you had to state your exact stop when you got on to pay the correct amount and if you stayed on too many stops over what your ticket said you could be in trouble if an inspector got on, I think drivers actually used to shout to people that they should get off if they passed their stop back in the good old days - that is still how it is up north but not down here, I suppose as they still take cash up there you still have to pay different amounts for where you intend to get off.

Last edited by kestrelx; 27-04-2017 at 17:01.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote