Thread: Bus Fares?
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2017, 15:20   #23
kestrelx
Senior Member+

Re: Bus Fares?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
When I was little you could get one of those runaround train tickets for twenty one shillings for an adult, ten and sixpence for children...and children under five travelled free.
My Ma used to get us up early every day and for a week we would be stood on the platform waiting for a train to the seaside...Ulverston, Grange over Sands, Southport, St Anne's...we didn't go to Blackpool as there were too many things that you could pester your Ma for.

We once got on the wrong train coming home and a very kind Guard put us on a milk train home...needless to say we needed no rocking to get us to sleep and it was well after midnight when we got home.
They were very happy days.
Picnic, meat paste butties, Kia ora to drink and a banana if we were lucky.
My brother and myself also once got on the wrong train going North when we wanted to head back home... I think we had the meat paste butties but food wasn't that important back then - in that I don't remember it being that much of a priority when we went on journey's, perhaps a bar of fruit and nut chocolate was the favourite fare or mars bars and a packet of 10 fags (on rare occasions)!

There was program on the news few days ago about buses being cut in rural areas because councils can't afford to subsidize them!

Last edited by kestrelx; 03-05-2017 at 15:24.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote