View Single Post
Old 28-05-2017, 07:44   #24
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Is it time to bring back national ID cards?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
There is no good reason to not have one. If you ever watch those police stop type TV programs you often see people giving false names and the police spending ages trying to find out who they really are.

I really can't understand why some people think they are a bad idea. I've no problem either with the police having the power to stop people for no reason at all except to check their ID.
I know I said I was done with this thread....and I posted a link to the last time we had this discussion, just to show that nothing much has changed within the discussion, but I have to have one more shot.

Neil, you may see no valid reason NOT to have one, while I see no valid reason to have one.
Do you really think that those who are stopped by the police would bother to carry ID...and if they were up to no good they might be carrying fake ID.
Other than chipping us all at birth(which might be the next proposal put forward) there is no sure way to identify those who are of criminal intent.

Don't you think it would be a lucrative market for criminals to set up a black market in fake IDs.
These would be easily available and could be used by illegal immigrant criminals, terrorists.
Those who really need to be indentified would not carry them, so the rest of the law abiding population would be carrying something because a percentage of the population are of criminal intent.

I have said in the past that I do not trust any government department to keep any biometric data safe. I am not being fingerprinted unless I am caught robbing a bank.

As for the police stopping people and asking for their ID cards...we would need a lot more police to be taking on that job...after all, they pass a law which says it is illegal to drive whilst using your phone. Every day I see people who are still doing this, despite penalties being increased.
Anyway, would the police be as PC about stopping women in Burkhas as they were about investigating the men in the paedophile ring in Rochdale , Rotherham and other such towns.

There is no point to having laws which are not policed, and for some communities these laws are flouted because they(the community) know the police are too lairy to get involved.

I will not be having one. But, if one of these bits of card makes you feel safer, then you can have one...it will not improve your security one jot and will add another level of control by government.

As I said there are plenty of ways I can prove my identity without one.

Now I am done!

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 28-05-2017 at 07:50.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote