Thread: Exit Polls
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2017, 09:56   #181
DaveinGermany
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Exit Polls

Sorry folks, but I'm not convinced that leccy cars are saviour of the planet, in fact I'd rate them as more damaging than diesel or petrol. Firstly the batteries have to be produced from raw products that are gathered from around the world.

Then there is their limited range in comparison with a diesel/petrol so they need to be "tanked" more often & where does this electric come from, not wind power as it's inefficient & unreliable, so you're back to coal/gas fired power stations or as most of UK's leccy comes from German & French sources you're looking at nuclear powered stations.

The electric motor is nowhere near as powerful as a diesel/petrol so the vehicle construction needs to be lightweight & strong so again you're looking at raised production costs for alloys & special materials whose production draws heavily on standard sources.

Nah, I'm one of your diesel gorillas me, so I'll be keeping my nasty, smelly, atmosphere polluting truck for the foreseeable future thank you very much!