View Single Post
Old 15-07-2017, 17:50   #10
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Parental responsibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
I agree about the difference in today and when we were young and as has been said today's kids have much more freedom and less respect. My original question was should parents be made more responsible for their children actions. As you rightly say Margaret most parents apply the same rules they themselves were given as children but just because some were not given those guide lines to me does not excuse them for not knowing or caring where their offspring are or what they are doing. If children are causing damage to property for example the parents should be made to pay along with the child making amends in some way.
Children have to know that there are consequences for their actions and this is a concept which many of the 'little darlings' have no grasp on...and whose fault is this...well, I guess it is ours.
We have let children know that they have 'rights' but failed to tell them that these 'rights' come with responsibilities.
If parents do not already feel responsible for what their children are doing, then there is little chance at this late stage of making them see.
You cannot put sense where there is none(thanks Cashy) and neither can you instill a conscience where there is none.

So if parents do not understand the responsibilities of being parents then there is no chance of children understanding this is there?

That said, I do think the children have such different lives today.
They are influenced by what they see(you know the old saying..'Monkey see, Monkey do').
They are influenced by Z list celebrities whose only talent is for spouting foul mouthed trash,getting their kit off and having intimate moments(sex) in front of the camera - I'm thinking 'Love Island'...Big Brother...Geordie Shore, TOWIE.
My daughters girl is 12 and she talks about her classmates watching, then discussing at school, these programs.
My daughter does not allow her girl to watch this toxic stuff.
She knows that she cannot protect her from hearing what it is about, but she deems it unfit for a 12 year old(me too).

We cannot expect to raise children with social and moral boundaries if, as parents, we do not give our children boundaries.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 15-07-2017 at 17:55.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote