View Single Post
Old 06-10-2017, 09:14   #13187
Gremlin
Senior Member+

Re: Today in pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryewolf90 View Post
Same here...

Unless you have a pro camera/lens combination which are usually fully weather sealed - but they do come at a hefty price premium...

If it's just a few spits and spots of rain/light drizzle, I usually keep the camera under my jacket/fleece with the lens hood on, whip it out when I want to take some snaps and then put it back and wipe the body/lens body with a kitchen towel whilst under my jacket.

If it's absolutely teeming it down with rain, like it was yesterday, it's a different matter.

This is what I used yesterday: Storm Jacket - they came in Standard or Pro versions (in various sizes to fit different lens/camera lengths). The only difference between the Standard and Pro, is the Pro version has a velcro opening on the bottom for use on a tripod.

Mine is the medium Pro, but still big enough to cover my Sigma 150-600mm lens at full stretch + camera, plus can be bunched up to fit my 24-105mm lens + camera. Cost me around £40-45 a few years back. (Wex Photographic sells them...)

The size of the pouch with folded cover is 15cm long, 10cm tall and a couple of centimeters thick, weighs about 50-70gram, the material is waterproof/water resistant... and I can now say with confindence that even after an hour stood in the rain that both were bone dry at the end.

The rain got so bad that even the birds bogged off and sat out of the rain.
I'll take your word for it mate. I've started leaving the 150-600 at home more and more lately, I'm finding it hard to wag about without a tripod.
My favourite combo at the moment is a Nikon 810 or D750 with a 24-120 f4 lens.
Unless I've something specific in mind then I've a selection of primes to choose from.
I'm not really into wild life photography or plants. I haven't a clue what's what.