View Single Post
Old 03-02-2018, 17:56   #14
Lord Stiffupperlip

Re: Stevenage Match Thread

They say you should always expect the unexpected!
Don't think anyone expected the always dependable Richards-Everton would be the one dropped to make way for Harvey Rodgers.
For 45 minutes, I for one thought Mr. Coleman had made a serious error of judgement, so poor was our performance.
Stevenage coasted into another 2-0 lead without breaking sweat. Fast, slick & first to every ball, they passed their way through our midfield with ease.
Our normal passing game went out the window, reduced to hoofing panicky balls out of defence.
The cries of 'Rubbish!' & other encouragements such as 'For f***s sake, get a grip!', echoed from the Clayton End.
'God! Do we need a goal before half-time' I suggested in desperation to my companion on 45 minutes.
Step up Captain Courageous - Sean McConville, in the 48th minute to give us some hope.
A post-mortem was conducted on the terraces at half time & it was generally agreed by all that our promotion hopes were as good as dead.
What we needed was an injection of Jordan Clark & 3 spoonfuls of 'Big Ben'.
Doctor Coleman must have felt the same as shortly after, he brought on the lively Sousa - although subbing Harvey Rodgers seemed illlogical as Dodger had improved from an uncertain start.
Last season, we would have lost this game in humiliating fashion. But this squad is made of sterner stuff.
The second half produced a battling, spirited performance that, once again, prised victory from the jaws of defeat.
Stevenage were still dangerous & Chapman had to pull-off some superb saves to prevent further embarrasment.
But this was groundhog day again, as Kee & McConville rescued the game & all of our hopes, which hang like a thread from one game to the next.
For all our sakes, please Mr. Coleman, can we have a 5-0 win next time - if only to give maximum points to Kiwi John!
Lord Stiffupperlip is offline   Reply With Quote