View Single Post
Old 01-03-2018, 12:49   #1
Big Joe

Snowball fights, health, safety and compensation

The wife was on a rant while watching daytime TV. A headmaster was being interviewed by Piers Morgan because he banned snowball fights. His logic. Children who come in cold, soaking wet, possibly agitated are not prepared for the lesson or to learn. He touched very briefly on the fact that should some pupil put a stone or grit in a snowball then a pupil may get injured and the school ergo him could be sued by an angry parent.
Ok first point. When I and I am sure most of you were at school snow ball fighting was mandatory. If you didn't go into class cold and wet desperately fighting for radiator space to dry your clothes well it just wasn't a snowy day at school. So whats changed? Health and Safety Executive everyone says and that was the line Piers was trying to go down. A pal of mine works for the HSE. He often says that HSE legislation is good legislation but has been hijacked by anyone in particular schools who hide behind it because of the compensation culture that now exists in the UK. And to be honest I would agree with that. This country is full of ambulance chasing solicitors looking to represent people who want to sue someone. My grandsons sports day was cancelled last year by the headteacher because it rained! Rained ! and her fear. Someone may slip on the wet grass and sue the school. Its time we let the kids get cold and wet, dry their coats on radiators and slip on the grass. In my day we called that a slide tackle.