View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 20:45   #26
Ryewolf90
Full Member+

Re: Snowball fights, health, safety and compensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by russthemink View Post
Its like the monty python yorkshiremen sketch on this forum sometimes.
No, it's not, myself, sister and brother all walked to and from school everyday, from Lonsdale St to Rhyddings School whatever the weather (and my Dad was one of the few people on our street that actually had a car). I don't ever remember the school closing due to bad weather. No bloody 4x4's either.

Teachers could actually discipline kids, I remember there was a woodwork teacher who had a bat with Ouch written in chalk...

If you did something wrong and were caught by someone they gave you a clip round the lughole and dragged you off to your parents and you'd get the same again.

We actually had friends and you went around to their house to get them to play out (and not talking to them on mobile phones via Facebook). Your dad would help you make trolleys and we would fly down Exchange St with no brakes and not have to worry about cars getting in the way.

In the summer months we would be out from early morning until it got dark, if you fell and hurt yourself, it's just how it was - there was no ambulance chasing/compensation culture then.

I'm sure this will be familiar to anyone of a certain age....