Thread: Newport Game
View Single Post
Old 25-04-2018, 03:21   #67
KiTChener

Re: Newport Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyMad View Post
If I'm being honest, I'm not that surprised at tonight's result - two long haul games so close together after all the emotion last Tuesday was bound to take it's toll on the lads, plus there was the pressure of keeping the unbeaten run going, well that pressure's gone now & we go again on Saturday when I've every confidence that we'll clinch the title.
Went to my first away match in many a year tonight, think the last one was a cup game of some kind at Elland Road ???years ago.
Really enjoyed the experience, although not the result, which, BTW, I thought was a fair reflection of our overall performance, but, on exiting the coach, my 72year old body was complaining after the near 6hour journey, and I could only think what our players must feel like (albeit some 50 years younger!) after experiencing two similar coach journeys within a few days? Then to go & play a football match? Plus, as you say, the additional pressures?

I know that Club finances do not allow for private jets down to away matches, as enjoyed by some of our so-called colleagues a little higher up the ladder (OK, only two divisions higher as of next season!), but, it would be interesting to know the costs re: overnight stays.... the reason I ask this, is not because I expect Mr. Holt to cover this expense, rather to suggest that we, as true fans, may be able to assist, with the excellent fund-raising abilities of the OASSC, in helping towards this expense? If we can raise enough for an oversize TV, which most fans on the Clayton End cannot benefit from, (by most, I mean those such as my good friend Cashy & his mates, by virtue of being my generation) & cannot even see properly, surely it would benefit us more by assisting our lads to arrive at some away games in a much less exhausted state than I felt at 6:30 pm last night?

Only a thought, perhaps brought on by my mental state after a near 15 hour round trip, and not a drink in sight until arriving home!!

Last edited by KiTChener; 25-04-2018 at 03:29.
KiTChener is offline   Reply With Quote