View Single Post
Old 25-04-2018, 22:14   #1
Big Joe

Fake Holiday Claims A Very British Illness

About 10 years ago the wife and I were in Lanzarote. A couple of days into the jolly we were told a storm was going to hit the island. Well it was a couple of days late but when it did the Canaries shut down for three days, people died on Gran Canaria. As for us our room was flooded with about an inch of water, a pair of the wifies shoes were soggy but other than that we were fine. One of the hotel restaurants was out of action when the outside terraced garden poured in through the windows. So I go to reception to ask if at some stage someone could adios the water off the floor. Ahaaaa! but no I'm at the back of a long queue of all British guests claiming for their video cameras, Breitling watches, Guuchi loafer etc that have been ruined. Who keeps a video camera on the floor? and the Breitling was obviously 20 euros off the luck lucky man. The staff were a bit taken aback when I wasn't intending to sue them wasn't claiming for damaged goods I didn't have, I just wanted the water removing. Fast forward. A Liverpool couple get sent to prison for making a malicious sickness claim and local to me a couple in Darlington were claiming for an upset stomach they had on holiday 3 years ago. They were claiming through a claims company of course for £10000 for their spoilt holiday. Hats off to the Greeks. The hotel chain did some checking can prove that despite "being ill" were drinking on average nine drinks a night each and have pulled images from their facebook pages showing them fit and well. They are counter suing the couple for wait for it £170,000.00p. The Darlington couple are now going "Boo Hoo we may lose our home" " We didn't say those things the nasty claims company put words in our mouth" The claims company have said they have put in court what they were told by their clients. Oh and its on a no win no fee basis and if they drop the case against the hotel they have to pay their own solicitors bill which they cannot afford to do and then they still have to fight the countersuing action. Good on the hotel because these parasites affect everyone and as a result travel insurance costs go up. Although I'm not religious I sometimes think maybe there should be a patron saint of hoteliers and if there already is one its nice to see them doing their job.