View Single Post
Old 30-04-2018, 14:39   #29
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Are you worried about the knowledge that Facebook has on you?

I don't think that is necessarily true....about people expecting things for nothing.
I also think that terms and conditions are sometimes a bit....well, how shall we say....let's say that they are long winded for a reason.
That reason is to put people off reading them thoroughly...and in most cases if you do not agree to all the terms and conditions then you cannot use whatever service the company is providing.
You have no choice as to which terms and conditions you accept, and which you would like to dismiss....so then providers have you over a barrel....if you wanted to pay for a service that gave you acceptable terms...even that is not available.
The sites that I use have free options....I do not use those because they do not offer me what I want.
I figure if I want a particular service, I have to be prepared to pay for it.

Much has been made of the fact that increasingly companies want you to use internet services....councils, banks utilities....all of these want you to deal with them as an online presence.
Today I have been in touch(by land line phone) with British Gas.
I waited to speak to someone for 20 minutes(not a freephone number either)....listening to advice regarding dealing with my issues via online services, mobile apps and such.(I don't think the bereavement services of BG have availability on the internet)
I PAY for my internet and in that payment is the cost of e-mails, browsing, etc
I do not use social media sites...well, Flickr, Accyweb and Pinterest are the only sites I use that perhaps could come under this umbrella....I pay for my Flickr account, I want to be able to pay my way.
I clear cookies on a regular basis.
I accept that to fund some of the sites I use, there must be advertisements, but I do not think that should give them carte blanche to use my information for commercial purposes.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 30-04-2018 at 14:48.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote