View Single Post
Old 30-06-2018, 16:51   #19
Barrie Yates
Senior Member+

Re: Waste of OUR money?

Got our bins delivered this week, fortunately we have room for them - we also had the unused green bin collected. So our next collection of tins, plastics etc will be in 2 weeks time - absolutely no problem, but then we have to wait another 4 weeks for the blue bin to be collected again.
My logic said that is it is going to be 4 weeks between collections then the blue bin needs to be twice as big as the blue bag and blue box combined. So I thought I might as well do a bit of simple arithmetic, the figures for the blue bag are only an approximation but not too far out.
The blue bag is approx 0.4 m diam and 1.0m long which gives a volume of 125 litres (approx). The blue box is 51 litres (approx), a total of 175 litres. As this is collected every 2 weeks under the old scheme and the new scheme is to be collected every 4 weeks, one could reasonably expect the blue bin to have a minimum capacity of 350 litres. However, the blue bin has a capacity of 240 litres, so perhaps we will have a councillor telling us how to dispose of up to 110 litres of recyclables that wont fit into the bin every month. No doubt the person responsible for deciding the bin size requirement went to the same school of advanced mathematics as Dianne Abbott.