Thread: Hose pipe ban
View Single Post
Old 25-07-2018, 08:40   #2
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Hose pipe ban

We all should be saving water...but United Utilities have a duty to maintain and service the infrastructure and deal with water leaks promptly.
This should come far above the desire to provide shareholders with a dividend...and sadly they do not do this.
At the beginning of this year I reported a water leak at the bottom of Burnley Road in Accrington.
I reported it not once, not twice, but four times. I did not see any action on dealing with that leak.

This is unacceptable.
Forgive me if I am wrong, but wasn't it United Utilities who were twice found to be permitting contaminated water to be supplied to their customers....were they not fined for this?
This money comes out of the pot that should be there to deal with infrastructure issues.
It is a commercial venture, it's whole reason for being is to make a profit...nothing else.

All that said, we have been saving water for a long time, it is a way of life.
I am just sad that more effort does not go into grey water projects....retaining the water from your bath or shower, your washing machine....this could then be used for those activities that the hosepipe ban will cover.
I have no garden, no plants....so my flagged yard will just have to wait to be swilled until the next downpour comes along.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote