View Single Post
Old 25-03-2019, 09:45   #63
StanleyJosh
Full Member+

Re: Burton Albion Thread

don't think Coley could have spoken a truer word in his post match interview.
my partner claimed after 35 minutes it was one of the most boring games she had witnessed - so I can partly blame her for the madness that followed!!
even at 2-0 up we looked second best - although at least we took the 2 chances on offer (probably assist of the season from Billy with that header to Sean!)

As much as I try to like Maxted and support that he is a good goalkeeper, I simply feel as though I am constantly kidding myself. His positioning lets him down as he isn't a bad shot stopper, but too many times this season we have conceded goals due to his poor positioning.
I am keeping positive, perhaps harshly, that Dimi will be our 1st choice keeper moving forward and am keeping my fingers crossed that apart from International Call Ups, will incur no more red cards (or injuries) and can have a long spell in goal!

The back 4 were sloppy at best, although I was disappointed (and have been a few times in the last few weeks) of the performance of Hughes. Too many times (recurring theme here....) caught out of position, too many passes finding Burton players.

The main cause for concern however for me was the non existant midfield.

I love Scotty but feel I am missing a key bit of information in the coaching manual as to why he was playing the majority of the game as a second striker. He neither has the height nor legs to run onto Billy's flick ons. Strange. Would much prefer him sitting just infront of the back 4.

Finlay started well but seemed to drift off into frustration and lost his way towards the end of the game. Will give him benefit of doubt as cant single him out for poor performance from rest of team and at least he actually looks like he's bothered about trying to make something happen (or just wind up the opposition...)
Barlasar was poor. As much as I can't deny he is extremely talented, I do question if his talents are suitable for us. His main expertise seems to be playing 60 yard balls out wide, which rarely come off, but when they do - it's asking alot for our wingers/full backs to take 3 touches to control the ball, get it out there feet and beat a man (haha snigger at that last one !!) That would be suited in the prem/championship - just don't think our players are quite as capable as benefiting from that.
Too many times he lost the ball dribbiling/playing 5 yard passes in our defensive final third.
I'd like to see him further forward, closer to Billy as it's clear the lad can strike a ball. Similar to his great strike the other week.

Sean and Clicker were a bit better than average, didn't really have much influence later on but looked lively and both contributed to goals so cant complain. Get sean off corners though jeeezz! and Clicker needs to be put in an ice chamber an hour before every game so he can chill in front of goal.

All in all. A bad day at the office. Onto Saturday.
New day, new game, new opposition.

Hopefully 3 players back in Dimi, Ross & Smyth.

Think they will 100% make the difference.

KTF.