Thread: Local Elections
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 08:21   #17
Margaret Pilkington
Beacon of light

Re: Local Elections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
It beats me why party politics plays any part in local councils. Our representatives on the council need to be able to fight for local issues on behalf of the voters.

Come to think of it, by the same argument, I don't know why party politics plays any part in general elections, MPs should represent their constituencies, not the party line.
I have always said that party politics has no place in local government.
It is a totally different animal to national politics.
I never take any notice of which party the candidates are from....I judge them on their ability to do the job.
In that respect I like them to be a resident of the area that they are a candidate for....believing that they will want to make their environment safe, clean, pleasant and well supported by services.

I do not trust those who are parachuted in....because they are NOT going to have the best interests of their voters/residents at the centre of what they do....they are going to have their own political agenda....much like our own representative.

In general elections....I vote with my brains. I do not follow any specific party.
I look at what they are promising(knowing full well that promises are like pie crust...easy to break) and how these promises are going to be effected.
I have always felt that a local person who knows the difficulties and the concerns of the voters, the problems being faced in our locality, would perform better.
And that was where I went wrong last time.
Our current MP looks (on paper) to be the ideal candidate to fulfil these criteria....but experience has shown that he is not for the town...he is for himself and his own agenda.
I will not make this mistake again.

Last edited by Margaret Pilkington; 04-05-2019 at 08:28.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote