Thread: Wombles Thread
View Single Post
Old 17-08-2019, 18:31   #23
Exile on Spencer St
God Member

Re: Wombles Thread

A couple of months off, i’d Forgotten how exhausting it can be watching Stanley.
Overall, Stanley were a bit lucky to come away with a point but deserved something for their response after the sending off.
Isn’t the first time but it seemed to me that the opponents were fitter, faster, and stronger, but maybe that’s to be expected with home teams.
Had the pleasure of sitting next to Zaine’s mum and neither of us could believe that he got a red card. They were other players on the field constantly pushing and shoving, and yet it was Francis-Angol who got dismissed for what looked like nothing worse than a 50/50 tackle. Maybe the video will reveal more.
My MotM has to be Evtimov who kept Stanley in it on several occasions, one right at the death; he couldn’t do anything with a fiercely hit, deflected own goal.
Thought the two new strikers did well against strong and canny defenders. Without Sir William Kee, it needs a different strategy and it was good to see Stanley forwards challenging big defenders for high ball and crosses.
Some of the established players looked out of form. Didn’t see much of what we’ve come to expect of Messrs Clark, Johnson, or McConville.
Midfield still appears to need work. Conneely’s role, and certainly his style, is generally defensive, breaking up play. It feels like there needs to be another midfielder alongside him who is calm and can create attacking openings. For me, Finlay spent too much time looking for a fight, giving away the ball with niggling fouls.
Early days, but Wimbledon were not that good. Anything less than a point would have been a massive disappointment, so we’ll done to the team for today’s effort.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote