View Single Post
Old 18-09-2019, 08:38   #26
Exile on Spencer St
God Member

Re: Wycombe Wanderers (A) Match Thread

Can’t be many grounds that provide pre and half time entertainment with a flock of performing partridges. Superb display, swooping effortless from end of the pitch to the other, casually strolling, unmarked, down the pitch. But enough about the partridges’ performance.
Very gutsy show from Stanley and under real pressure in the second half. Thought Sean McMarmite summed up the ref’s performance very well - ‘indifferent’. In real time and from a distance I could see why the ref gave the penalty but, with VAR, I doubt it would have stood. I’ve seen circus acrobats spend more time on their feet than Wycombe’s No.11, and it was no surprise that his double roll with reverse twist, after diving over the captain’s outstretched leg, won the penalty.
Suspect some of the Wasps training manuals must still be in the Wycombe changing rooms as they were more than a little handy; more pushy pushy, particularly in the second half. However, to be fair to the ref () he did catch up with that trick by the fourth time a Stanley player had been pushed in the back and off the pitch.
Thought Evtimov had a good game, very brave in crowded penalty areas. Back four were strong and Stanley solved the midfield problem by launching balls forward from the back for the Dynamic Duo (Messrs Charles and Bishop) to latch onto. This tactic seemed to leave little creative work for Conneely and Finlay to do but they were both effective in what they did defensively. Clark I thought had another good game, always willing to run at the defenders with the ball. Perhaps as might be expected after a rest, McConville, like the ref, had an indifferent game but only because we’ve all come to expect him to put away chances like he got late in the second half.
Bishop got crocked from a ‘clumsy’ tackle from their No.5 (I think) right in front of the ref and it looked bad. Of course, no free kick. Hope the lad isn’t too seriously injured, but Man Mountain Simpson came on and did OK. He’s certainly a presence on the pitch and maybe he and ‘Prince’ Charles can build a good partnership.
All round good performance from the team.
Exile on Spencer St is offline   Reply With Quote