View Single Post
Old 23-04-2020, 09:15   #260
Bob Dobson
Senior Member+

Re: The Pubs of Accrington

I have written to the Hyndburn Local History Society to try to interest it in making a serious study of the borough's pubs, clubs and breweries using the local newspapers held in Accrington Library. I hope the outcome will be a website along the lines of the excellent 'Preston Pubs' one. I will report back to you on here when I've had a response. I envisage it could be some months before that happens but at least I have set the ball rolling.
In connection with this subject, I would like to trace the family of the late Max Taylor, who would be in his early 80s if still alive. Max grew up around Buxton and Charter Streets. At one time he was landlord of the Antley Inn, worked for Thwaites brewery, was a policeman in Blackburn and Blackpool. On leaving Blackpool Police, he worked for a Lancaster brewery and lived in Morecambe.
Made redundant by the brewery, Max became a freelance rep selling beer to free houses and guest beers to tied houses. He died several years ago leaving a widow and grown-up children.
I want to trace this family in the hope that they may still have the notes that Max kept on our local pubs, clubs and breweries..
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote